I am an Assistant Professor in the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, IIT Delhi, India.
My broad areas of research are human sentence processing, natural language modeling, natural language parsing,
and dependency grammars. These topics lie at the intersection of psychology and computational/theoretical
My current research investigates the sources of sentence complexity such as working-memory, orthography,
grammatical representation and parsing strategy. In practice this entails understanding what makes a sentence
difficult for humans during real-time comprehension. My research group examines such questions using behavioral,
corpus-based as well as computational methods. In addition, I am also interested in building automatic tools
that are informed by this research.
To know more about my research group see here. To know more about my group's recent research work see here.
I am looking for bright and hard-working graduate and undergraduate students to work on state-of-the-art research in the domains mentioned above.
- I will be giving an invited talk at the Workshop on 'Approaches to Language Variation' at IIT Delhi.
- An abstract titled 'Cost of ungrammatical predictions during online sentence processing: evidence against surprisal' accepted for poster presentation at the 32nd Annual CUNY Sentence Processing Conference 2019. (More details)
- An abstract titled 'Investigating Local Coherence Effects in Hindi' accepted for poster presentation at the 9th meeting of Formal Approaches to South Asian Languages (FASAL-9), Portland. 2019. (More details)
- An abstract titled 'Multilingual advanced learners of Arabic employ deep parsing during online comprehension: Evidence against Shallow Structure Hypothesis' accepted for poster presentation at the Neuroscience of Language Conference, NYU Abu Dhabi, 2019. (More details)
- Along with Ashwini Vaidya, I will be conducting a workshop on 'Experimental Linguistics' at the Department of Linguistics, University of Mumbai from 10th December 2018 to 14th December 2018.
- An abstract titled 'Processing Hindi Doubly Center-embedded Structures' accepted for oral presentation at the 5th Annual Conference of The Association of Cognitive Science, India, 2018. (More details)
- 5 abstracts from the Psycholinguistics Lab @ IIT Delhi accepted for poster presentation at the Architectures and Mechanisms of Language Processing (AMLaP) Conference 2018. (More details)
- EEL 2018 to be held at IIT (BHU) from 4th June to 11th June.
- I gave a talk at the Center for Cognitive Science, IIT Kanpur on the 24th March 2018.
- IIT Delhi Linguistics has made an entry in the QS world rankings. It has been ranked the best in India! (See here)
- 4 abstracts from the Psycholinguistics Lab @ IIT Delhi accepted for poster presentation at the 31st Annual CUNY Sentence Processing Conference 2018. (More details)
- I will be giving a keynote talk at the Bridging Research On Cognition And Speech (BROCAS) symposium at IIT Ropar.
- 5 abstracts (3 talks and 2 posters) from the Psycholinguistics Lab @ IIT Delhi accepted at the Architectures and Mechanisms of Language Processing - Asia (AMLaP-Asia) Conference 2018. (More details)
Last updated: 24 January, 2019